Tuesday, February 22, 2011

E-portfolio-standard K

I think having a good grasp of subject matter, no matter what the class might be is crucial for any teacher to provide their students with the education they deserve. A teacher who does not have confidence in their subject matter does a disservice to students. You run the risk of not reaching students who may excel in that subject area and consequently not allow the student(s) to reach their potential, not just in school but even in their own future professions.

I've also noticed that art students especially like to see if you, the teacher has any actual artistic talent. Students don't want to learn from a teacher who can't even do the work they assign. Students in art like to see that their teacher actually can draw, paint, etc. Not to mention specific instructions and tips to help students achieve a better result. Knowing your content area includes not just the knowledge of art or art history, but specific techniques, complete understanding of programs and computers if it is a class dealing with technology and enough real experience to fully understand what the student is struggling with at the moment.

I find it really helpful to go through all types of lessons of my cooperating teachers, especially if it is a medium where I am not as strong in my ability. This helps me understand more about those mediums, as well as learn more myself. I feel that this might help "bulk" up my knowledge base and better prepare me for when I have to consider those lessons in my future curriculum. I also visit websites for lessons, but I don't have a specific source that I go to. I usually look through various examples and assemble the lesson from multiple websites, tips and online demonstrations for ideas.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the confidence statement! I like how you spoke to excelling students as well, that's a very good point.

    ReplyDelete